Gavin Becker undoubtedly has started off to a good start, he is a 17-year-old singer and songwriter from Philadelphia. He started playing the piano, singing and writing music at the age of 5 when he negotiated with his parents for lessons. He Immediately took to writing and composing his own music. He’s got a big journey ahead of him and he already has some really interesting insights into what it takes to put this item on your Bucket List. This is what he had to say:
- Why does being a musician appeal to you so much?
I have been singing for as long as I can remember. Ever since I was 3 years old it has been my greatest passion. At the age of 6, I started learning how to play the piano, and later starting teaching myself guitar as well. Writing, creating and performing, and the ability to express through art different emotions draws me to music.
- What’s been the most challenging obstacle you’ve faced in your career?
Getting off the ground has definitely been the largest obstacle. Booking my first concert and getting my first few fans took hundreds of hours, but was definitely worth it.
- What does the process of writing a song look like?
I usually start with a general concept or idea. This can be a single word or a whole story. With this, I create a melody and put words and chords to my main “hook” melody.
- When did you realise people were starting to engage in your music and what did that feel like?
Through comments, followers and “tweets” about four years ago I realised that people were really connecting with my music. It was, and still is, an unbelievable feeling. To know that I can make a difference in someone’s day through what I love is absolutely incredible.
- Do you think it’s becoming harder or easier to become a musician today?
In some ways yes, and in others no. With social media, everyone has the opportunity to grow a fanbase these days. However, this has created a large abundance of content, and many incredible musicians can often be lost in the crowd. Additionally, “streaming” services like Spotify have made it very difficult to earn a living as a musician.
- Three pieces of advice for people wanting to make a career out of music?
1) Be yourself, make music that is YOU
2) Always have a backup plan
3) Reach out to absolutely everyone you can, the more the better
And if you’d like to keep up to date with all Gavin’s recent coming and going/keeping up to date with his Bucket List journey his website can be found: www.gavinbeckerofficial.com and to be kept up to date with all our Bucket List interviews sign up to our FLUX NEWS newsletter.